March 1, 2024

The road to student visas: Spain

The road to student visas: Spain
Deni Isic

The road to a student visa in Spain

International students planning to study in Spain will almost certainly need to get a student visa. Every year, Spain welcomes thousands of students to its universities and colleges, and its educational reputation is world-renowned. This is why Spain is a popular study location for foreign students who want to get a good education while also enjoying the wonderful outdoors and the countless chances that Spain has to offer. Although many nations are eligible for visa-free travel to Spain, nationals of other countries must obtain a visa before they can study in Spain.

The road to a student visa in Spain

Is a visa required to study in Spain?

If you are an international student from a country other than the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you must apply for a visa in order to study in Spain. Overseas nationals who desire to study in Spain will only need a student visa if their program lasts more than 90 days. They will not need to apply for a Spanish student visa if they are coming for fewer than 90 days for study purposes. International students from non-EU/EEA countries who desire to do research, train, or study in Spain must get a student visa.

International students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland will just need to apply for a residency card at Spanish authorities and will not need to apply for a student visa to Spain. Anyone else must apply for a Spanish student visa and provide evidence of financial stability or health insurance. For overseas students intending to study at Spanish institutions, there are three primary kinds of student visas available.

Introduction to the different spanish visas

International students intending to study in Spain may apply for a variety of visas. The kind of visa you need is determined on your nationality and the length of your program.

The following are the several kinds of student visas available in Spain:

Student Visa for the Schengen Area (Less Than 3 Months)

For courses lasting less than 90 days, international students from countries other than the EU/EEA and Switzerland must apply for a Schengen Student Visa.

Students from countries that do not need a visa to visit Spain for up to 90 days are permitted to study in Spain without asking for a visa (if the study program is shorter than 90 days).

Student Visa for a Limited Time (3-6 Months)

The short-term student visa, also known as the 180-day D type visa, permits students to pursue a study course for up to 180 days (3-6 months). These student visas have a simpler application procedure but cannot be extended. A short-term student visa allows the student to enroll in any short-term course. If the length of the course exceeds 180 days, the student should apply for a long-term student visa to Spain.

Student Visa for the Long Term (Over 6 Months)

The long-term student visa to Spain permits you to study in Spain for more than six months. You will be able to enroll in undergraduate or postgraduate degree programs and will be able to live in Spain for the length of your studies. This sort of visa application needs more documents than the other listed types of visas. You will be required to provide evidence of financial means as well as medical insurance. International students should apply for a student residency card within a month of arriving in Spain after receiving a long-term Spanish student visa.

Steps to apply for a student visa in Spain

To get a student visa for Spain, you must first be accepted into your desired degree or program in Spain. Among the student visa criteria is a letter of admission. After you have been admitted, you should contact the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country, or the one nearest to your home country, to submit your documentation and application. The prerequisites for a student visa to Spain are mentioned below.

Requirements to apply for a student visa in Spain

The Spain student visa requirements are determined by a number of variables, the most important of which is your place of origin. Typically, the following papers are needed for your student visa application to Spain:

• Two application forms, each fully filled
• Your current passport
• Your government-issued identity card (ID card)
• Two recent passport images
• Admission letter from the selected institution
• Proof of health insurance is required
• Evidence of ample funds
• Account statement from a bank
• Financial aid/scholarship documentation is required
• Parental/legal guardian notarized letter (assuming financial responsibility)
• University/school letter (assuming financial responsibility)
• Proof of payment for the cost
• A medical certificate is required
• Criminal record certificate (at most three months old)

Where do you apply for a Spanish student visa?

You must apply for a Spanish student visa at the Spanish Embassy/Consulate in your native country (or the closest one to your home country). If you are in Spain at the time of your application, you need obtain permission from the Government Delegation or Sub-Delegation in the province where you want to study. Make sure you submit your application on time, at least two to three months before your trip to Spain.

When should you apply for a Spanish student visa?

When you are given a seat in your desired study program, you should apply for a student visa to Spain. You should start preparing as soon as you get your acceptance letter. Furthermore, to minimize visa processing delays, apply for your Spanish student visa at least two or three months before flying to Spain.

How long will the waiting time be before your get a Spanish student visa?

The processing period for a Spanish student visa is normally between 1-3 months, depending on the embassy or consulate's workload. You may get a response in as little as 15 days in certain cases. However, you must apply well in advance to prevent any potential delays. Begin compiling the necessary documentation as soon as you get your letter of acceptance from your selected school provider.

How much does it cost to get a Spanish student visa?

The cost of a student visa to Spain varies according on the kind of visa and your place of origin. The typical Spanish student visa charge is €60; however, a Schengen student visa to Spain costs €80. (for citizens of countries excluding the US or Canada). A student visa to Spain will cost €132 ($160) for US nationals and €115 ($140) for Schengen students. A Spanish student visa will cost €80 ($98) for Canadian applicants, while a Schengen student visa to Spain would cost €97 ($118).

What part of the Spanish student visa application could be the reason for rejection?

On rare situations, your student visa to Spain may be denied. Applying for a student visa may be a difficult procedure since you must ensure that you have all of the necessary paperwork and satisfy the criteria (including proof of financial resources or health insurance).

Here are a few reasons why your Spanish student visa may be denied:

• Financial help is lacking
• Inadequate documentation (or missing documents).
• Failure to respond appropriately to the consular official during the interview.
• The Spanish authorities are skeptical of the petitioners' motives.

Just because your student visa to Spain may be denied does not imply it will be. Simply present the necessary documentation, prepare for the interview, and declare your purpose to study in Spain clearly and concisely.

Can foreign students in Spain work besides studies?

Yes, you may work in Spain while studying if you have a student visa. The Spain student visa enables students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week, which means that students (on a student visa) cannot work full-time while studying in Spain. Your employer in Spain must seek a work permit from the Foreign Office on your behalf. Meanwhile, if you wish to do an unpaid internship, your student ID will suffice.

Most frequently asked questions from students applying for a student visa in Spain

When does a student visa in Spain expire?

The length of your Spanish student visa will be determined by the length of your course/program. For example, if you have a six-month study program, your student visa will likewise expire after six months. Similarly, if your study program lasts a year, your student visa will be valid for the same amount of time. Your visa will have an expiry date.

When Should I Apply for a Student Visa Extension?

Ideally, you should seek to renew your student visa up to 60 days before it expires, so that it is renewed on time. In certain situations, you may apply for a student visa renewal up to 90 days after it expires. When you request for a student visa extension, the Immigration Office will provide you a document that allows you to remain in Spain until your visa is extended.

How Do I Apply for a Student Residence Card in Spain After Getting a Visa?

After landing in Spain, you need receive your student residency card (TIE or Foreigner Identity Card). You need specifically apply for this card within one month of your arrival. Visit the closest Immigration Department office or local police station in Spain to do so. You must provide a collection of papers, including a certificate of residence, a letter of admission to studies, your passport and ID, and current pictures.

Where Can I Find the Student Visa Application Form for Spain?

The most significant document to complete is the Spain Study Visa application form. An application form of this kind may be acquired on the internet or at the closest Spanish Embassy. You should apply for the Spanish Student Visa Type D as an international student. If you want to study for more than 90 days, the Application for a National Visa will suffice. On the consulate's website, you should be able to locate a link to print the National Visa application together with the Student Visa instructions.

How Do You Fill Out a Student Visa Application Form?

In general, the Student Visa guidelines may be found on the consulate's website under the Consular Services page. Because you are an international student intending to study in Spain, there are several questions you must carefully answer in line with your individual consulate. Because you are not a Spanish citizen, you may need to leave certain questions blank on the National Visa Application, such as national identification number. The majority of the questions will be simple to answer, but some may need specific responses. If you reside in your country of citizenship, leave the line "Residence in a country other than the country of current nationality" blank.

How Do US Citizens Obtain a Student Visa for Spain?

A variety of papers will be necessary in order to get a student visa. A medical certificate, a background check with Spanish translations, and a Police Criminal Record clearance will be required. A student visa will be issued to you by a Spanish consulate or embassy. Your visa application will be processed in about a month and a half, or slightly longer. Your passport will be in the hands of the Spanish consulate as a result of this procedure.

How Do I Get My Spanish Student Visa?

You have two alternatives for obtaining your Spanish Student Visa. In the first instance, the consulate will send you your passport together with your visa. In the other instance, you will have to travel to the consulate and pick up your passport and visa yourself. However, make sure you've reviewed the consulate's website for any further requirements.

How Do I Apply for a Student Residence Permit in Spain?

If your study program will last more than six months, you must apply for a student residence permit within 30 days of arriving in Spain. You must apply for a residency permit at your local Foreigners Office or police station. The following papers must be presented when applying for a residency permit:

• National identification card that is valid for at least six months
• Application form has been completed
• Documentation of acceptance from the educational institution
• There are three passport photographs
• Copy of your passport stamp indicating your arrival into Spain
• Confirmation letter of residence in Spain or registration for the Spanish census

Can My Family Visit Me in Spain?

As long as you have a study visa, your family members are permitted to visit you while you are studying. However, there are a few prerequisites that must be met before they appear. To begin, you must demonstrate that you have adequate money to sustain your dependents, present proof of your connection, and your stay must be longer than six months. Furthermore, a month after arriving in Spain, your family members will need to apply for their Foreigner's Identity Card (TIE).

Free E-Book. Free Scholarship templates.

Få al vores oplevelse lige ved fingerspidsen fra vores første udgivelse af Ultimate Study Abroad Handbook gratis ved at tilmelde dig vores nyhedsbrev.

Tak skal du have! Din indsendelse er modtaget!
Ups! Noget gik galt under indsendelsen af formularen.
Studier i udlandet e-bog
uniclub promise

Get unparalleled peace of mind from start to finish.